Raymond McLeod Farms was formed in 1964 to take over the farming of four small farms in North Essex which Raymond McLeod had acquired since the war. In 1966, he sold 3 of the farms to acquire Longham Hall near Dereham in Norfolk, as land in Norfolk was two thirds of the price of Essex land. Like many farms after the war, Longham Hall needed a lot of updating, which in many ways suited the McLeod family. The family have been involved in building since 1860 so upgrading the cottages with inside toilets and running water, and putting new buildings up for potatoes and grain stores was something the family thrived on.
Diversification has seen the farm go into commercial building for letting and the opportunity arose to get involved in gravel extraction and then processing. This has enabled the farm to become involved in the restoration of the excavated land back to agriculture.
Some of our commercial buildings are let to a timber processor which has enabled the farm to invest in a Biomass Boiler for heating some of the properties. The company is always on the search to augment the seasonal activities of its arable farming operation. It currently grows Wheat, Barley, Oil Seed Rape and a small acreage of Potatoes which are sold from the farm office to the general public.